Organisation of the Ordnance
The Ordnance was to all intents and purposes the technical side of the army, and was based at the Tower of London. It was Henry IV who appointed the first Master of the Ordnance in 1414. A Master Gunner was appointed at the Tower by Henry VII, and in 1603 the post of Master General of the Ordnance was created. The Ordnance encompassed a great number of facets beyond the guns that formed the Trayne of Artillery. The Tower provided a base for the master gunners, engineers and other specialists. When a campaign began a Trayne was set up from scratch with civilian drivers and tradesmen being hired, and soldiers being made available to assist the gunners. Although the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers was raised in 1685 to accompany the Trayne, this state of affairs continued until the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715, when it took so long to put a Trayne together that the rebellion was over by the time it was ready. As a result in 1716 two permanent companies were formed, these combined in 1722 with two other traynes that were then in existence, one in Gibralter and the other on Minorca, to create the Royal Artillery. In 1719 the Engineers were put on a more permanent footing with the creation of the Royal Engineers, and in 1791 the mapmaking part became a separate entity with the creation of the Ordnance Survey.
A general idea of the breath of the Ordnance may be gathered from the groupings below of the varying people who formed a part of it, the numbers involved varying over time